VisionMobile has published a new report titled Developer Economics Q3 2013: State of the Developer Nation. It includes details from a survey of more than 6,000 mobile development pros, as well as a series of interviews. Highlights include the following:
- It's "almost impossible" for other operating systems to compete with Android and iOS, which dominate the market.
- 71 percent of mobile developers are writing Android apps, down from 72 percent last quarter.
- 57 percent of mobile developers are writing iOS apps, up from 56 percent last quarter.
- iOS developers make an average of $5,200/month, compared to $4,700/month for Android and$3,600/month for Windows Phone.
- Most mobile development pros can be categorized as "hunters" or "guns for hire," while only 6 percent work in enterprise IT.