A new report from Kony Inc. sheds light on the complicated internal politics surrounding enterprise mobile development. The survey found 87 percent of executives would rather work with external, third-party firms to build their apps, while only 19 percent prefer relying solely on their internal IT resources to create and maintain apps. Other key findings included the following:
- Top reasons for not using internal mobile development staff included a lack of skilled staff (42 percent), limited IT budget (40 percent), and security vulnerabilities (37 percent).
- 96 percent of those who used external mobile development firms experienced problems.
- 92 percent executives say externally source mobile apps are not meeting expectations.
- Top problems with external mobile development include higher than expected development costs (43 percent), higher than expected maintenance costs (41 percent) and lack of customization options (39 percent).
- 82 percent of respondents said their firms have abandoned an enterprise mobile app.