Every year, the technology industry eagerly anticipates venture capitalist Mary Meeker's comprehensive report on the state of the Internet, and she never disappoints. Here are some of the highlights from this year's report that might be of interest to developers.
- Half of the world's population, 3.6 billion people, can now access the Internet.
- U.S. adults spent 5.9 hours online per day in 2017, up from 5.6 hours in 2016.
- More people start product searches on Amazon than on search engines.
- Thanks in part to the Internet, freelance work is growing three times faster than the overall workforce.
- 56% of the top US companies were founded by a first- or second-generation immigrant.