According to a new report from Distimo, iPhone app downloads have increased significantly in Asian countries in the last six months, at the same time that downloads were dropping off in the U.S. In fact, China now has the second highest number of downloads of iPhone apps. (The U.S. is still number one.) Other key findings in the report include the following:
- Although free apps do very well in Asian countries, paid apps are not as popular. In fact, Asian revenues for paid apps are only one-third of those in the U.S.
- South Korea has a particularly high rate of downloads, even though people in that country can't access the very popular games category in the App Store.
- Indian download volumes have increased 27 percent since last December.
- Thai download volumes have increased 40 percent since last December.
- Localized apps are much more popular in Asia than apps that are not region-specific.